Sunday, February 10, 2013

2 Cent Saturday.. er, Sunday

My $0.02 today.

The more ways we invent to communicate, the less we actually talk to each other.

Seriously, with all of our technology today, we have about 100 different ways to contact each other.  And being in touch so easily has pretty much stopped us from actually speaking to each other.

About 1/3 of all my text responses are either "ah" "cool" or "lol".  

Which generally means jack.

We no longer choose our words carefully, like those in the past did.  It's so easy to say, "wait, I meant.."

Is this a bad thing?  I dunno.  I'm certainly guilty of it.  And it's so much easier to just throw out an "omg!" then actually say, and have to articulate, what I'm really thinking or feeling.

I wonder what our ancestors, who could only communicate by letters, and usually waited for weeks for responses, would think of how we speak today?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

What do you think?  Do you think that our verbal/writing skills have suffered or benefited with our easy communication?


2 comments:

  1. If you really need an answer to that, try to decipher those facebook posts where vowels are optional and every other letter is either capitalized or replaced by a number.

    This may be a side effect of schools teaching to standardized testing rather than useful skills and common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait.. those Facebook posts are actually trying to say something? I just thought those people were falling asleep on their keyboards!

      Also, common sense is so rare these days it's practically a fucking super power now. Amirite?

      Delete

Please leave me many, many comments.. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each one and try to reply in kind. Loves!