Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What could possibly be said?

I've thought and thought about what I wanted to write since the bombings in Boston happened.  First, I thought about not writing anything at all and just continuing to post other stuff.

Not because I don't care, but because I know that there are literally no words I can write that could possibly express my sadness or anger or disgust.  There is nothing that I can say that can cover the magnitude about what happened on Monday.

It would all be horribly inadequate.  And for that, I am sorry.

But I couldn't just not write anything.  Because, no matter how much I fail to say what I mean, the fact is, what happened did mean something.  And that can't just be left unacknowledged.

What did it mean though?  That, we as humans, are capable of incredibly great evil?  Yes.  That it takes less than 30 seconds to completely change the course of someone's life, to damage and dismantle it?  Yes.  

That in moments of terror, shock, horror, blood, pain and sadness, the human spirit stronger than we ever thought possible?  YES.

Like the first responders on the scene.  Like the spectators that ran *towards* the explosion site, not knowing if there were more explosions to come, to help the victims.  Like the former NFL player that spent hours helping victims and carrying them to safety.  Like the runners that continued right on past the finish line and ran straight to the local hospitals.  Like the Peace Cowboy who was there to honor his son, a fallen marine, and was pictured holding a man's artery closed to prevent him from bleeding out.  Like the hundreds of every day people that comforted each other, helped each other, offered to open the doors of their homes to stranded marathoners, all those that became heroes because of the act of a coward.

It's all of them that I think about.  It's people like them that I'm grateful for.  Because without them, there would be no hope.  Without the selfless, brave acts of so many.. how could we go on.. knowing something like this could happen?  But because of the every day heroes, I'm a little less scared and a little more hopeful that the human spirit is stronger than any act of a coward.  No matter how big or small it may be.  Because the human spirit is what is beautiful about this world.

Like Patton Oswalt said, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

We *always* will.

So, I'm sorry this happened.  And I'm sorry that this is probably disjointed and possibly all over the place.  I haven't reread it and am not going to, because I know that my words are inadequate and I would be here all night trying to get them right.  And it wouldn't be possible.  

One last thing.  

I love you guys.  Thanks for being what's good in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me many, many comments.. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each one and try to reply in kind. Loves!