Monday, May 16, 2011

Easy Breezy Summer Goals

First off, what I'm about to say might seem a little.. icky, but... I love the garbage/recycle room in my apt building.


Gross, right?  Let me explain.


The garbage/recycle room is where everyone takes the opportunity to place all the things they no longer want, rather then taking it to the Goodwill or passing it on to a friend.  They do this because it's like a swapsie room down there.


You can find all kinds of stuff: books, office supplies, chairs, paintings and artwork, clothing, lamps, whatever.


It's kinda awesome.


Yesterday I found, in a bag and folded nicely, 4 pashminas.  


I LOVE me a pashmina.  


Take a looksie:








They're in pretty much perfect condition.  I found one snag on one of them, but it isn't noticeable.  And according to the tag that I found they're 75% cashmere.  Good enough for me.


Score.


Alright, down to business.  


Every time summer comes around I always say the same thing:  It's time for me to get to reading some of the classics.


Now, I'm a huge reader.  


Like, colossal.  Massive.  Sorta obsessed.


And there isn't any one genre that I stick to either.  I partake in almost all of them.  Except western.  Or romance.  Can't stand bodice rippers.


Ew.


But I rarely dive into the classics.  I mean, I love Jane Austen and have read her work.  I've also read Dracula by Bram Stoker.  And a few classics in middle school like Fahrenheit 451.


And each time summer makes an appearance I once again promise to pull out that 8th grade reading list that we all soundly ignored and get to it.  But of course, some new amazing fiction bestseller hits the shelves and that goal gets buried under Stieg Larsson or Jodi Picoult.


Not this time!  I can proudly say that last night I finished the first classic on my list:




I chose The Great Gatsby because 1) a girlfriend of mine told me how amazing it was and that she rereads it every couple of years and 2) because they are remaking the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher.


I can say that it was an amazing book and really wish I had read it back during my 8th grade summer rather then racking up some skin cancer by the pool. 


Live and learn.


Next up on my list is The Grapes of Wrath then I think I'm going to try Wuthering Heights.


If anyone out there has any suggestions of favorite classics, please let me know in the comments!  I'm definitely open to all.


So, what kinds of goals do you have for the summer?


2 comments:

  1. The Great Gatsby is on my summer reading list, too! It's funny that I've never read it, because I'm obsessed with the 1920's, but somehow I've never gotten around to it.

    I don't know if this counts as a "classic", but Revolutionary Road was written in the 50's and it's my all-time favorite book. That's my only suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, definitely read it, I just loved it.

    Classic enough for me! I will absolutely add that to my list. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me many, many comments.. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each one and try to reply in kind. Loves!