Wednesday, May 21, 2014

In review.. Godzilla!

I will try to avoid major spoilers.

So.. big monsters that wreck shit and crush cities?  Sign me up.  I love that shit.

I was one of the 6 people that thought Pacific Rim was awesome.

And only slightly in part because of Charlie Hunnam.

Yes, Charlie.  Yes I do.

So, I had to see Godzilla, of course.  I don't even remember the Matthew Broderick version.  Other than I don't think we were supposed to root for Godzilla.

Whatever.  I love him.

Anyway, in this version we are given a chance to (appropriately) back Godzilla and his rampage through some 20 different cities.  

OK, it was like, 5.  Still.

The new and improved version opens with some idiots accidentally awakening some big prehistoric monster who isn't Godzilla which then awakens Godzilla who has come back to restore the natural balance by kicking Not Godzilla's ass back to the stone age.

The CGI was fantastic, Godzilla looked badass and cute at the same time.

I mean, just look at him.

Now, for the stuff I didn't like.

I couldn't bring myself to care for any of the main characters (played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen), except Bryan Cranston.  It's not that they were bad actors or anything, their acting was good, I just didn't like them.  They lacked star power or something.. they just failed to pull me in to their stories.  Taylor-Johnson and Olsen did have good chemistry between them though.

Also, there were almost no women in the cast except for one female scientist and the main character's wife.  Couldn't they have thrown in a woman or two in the military?  There was a lot of military but I didn't see a single female with a gun.  Hmph.

My biggest complaint though was the destruction and fighting scenes.

Now, when I go see a monster movie, I wanna watch some wreckage and buildings getting thrown around and people stomped on.. all before leading up to the BIG END FIGHT.

Godzilla definitely fell short on this aspect.  The monsters clash from about an hour in and they take the fight all around the country (oddly though, not in NYC, a favorite city for movie demolishing).

Except we didn't see any of it.  Until the big fight at the end, the only destruction and fights between the monsters are played out on news reports behind the characters or through a closing door or blurry goggles.  

We do see the aftermath in the cities, but that was about it.

The big fight at the end was good though.  And I liked how it ended (it couldn't have ended any other way, I think).

IMDB gives the movie a 7.4/10 rating and I agree.  A solid 7.

So, there ya have it.  Go see it and root for Godzilla.

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me many, many comments.. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each one and try to reply in kind. Loves!